Notes from Puzzle Palace

Monday, June 9, 2014

A visit to Oskar and José


Oskar and José picked me up at my hotel Saturday morning at 10 am sharp.  We drove to their house and spent a pleasant afternoon puzzling and chatting.  I got to see “Studio Oskar” and take a quick look around his home. 

We didn’t stay long though.  We headed out very quickly to meet with Joop’s house.  Tansport?  Bicycles. Any who know me realize that is not something I do very often.  I’m more of a runner.  I was worried I would fall off the bike, but I managed very well.  We headed off to Delft and within an hour and a half we arrived.  It wasn’t far.  Maybe 12K or so, but we made a few stops along the way.  First Oskar took us to a windmill.  Very cool, but chicken shit here refused to go up. I was terrified.  From there we spent rest of the trip making stops along the way to get a lesson in local lore and other things of interest.








When we finally arrived in Delft, the first stop was a church.  We climbed to the top of it!  Don’t forget, Rox has severe vertigo.  Oskar and Jose both marched up the tower like it was nothing.  Rox on the other hand climbed the steps with here eyes to the wall.  We stopped half way up and went out along a walkway and looked at the city.  After a breather, we climbed higher.  We managed to get to the top.  The only problem with that is that you need to go down again.  It took me a long long time to get down.  Oskar was tickled that I managed it all by butt bumping down the tower.  And being the great host he is, he butt bumped with me.

Next stop Joop’s house. We spent a few hours looking at his collection and talking.  His house is amazing!  A whole floor dedicated to puzzles and puzzle paraphernalia.  And I thought I was a serious collector.  I’m nothing by comparison.  

We had pizza on his terrace and chatted some more.  As it was getting late, we rode the bikes back home again and went to sleep. 


Tomorrow, the puzzle party at Oskars.

No comments:

Post a Comment